Although many politicians and officials, unfortunately, sometimes resort to some degree of political twist, never before, in recent memory, have we seen an individual, consistently, articulate a message, based on denials, double – down on those, calling anything he disagrees with, or disagrees with, false facts, etc., as we have done in recent years from Donald Trump! Many think that our Presidents are often judged, not only, on their political popularity, during their mandate, but, on their heritage! In most cases, while we might disagree with an individual, based on their political beliefs, plans, strategies, actions, etc., basic events are not involved! However, this president, due to the number of times, political facts – auditors, states, he lied, etc. complain, accuse others, along the way! With that in mind, this article will attempt, briefly, to examine, examine, examine and discuss 5 instances / factors that could influence Trump’s legacy.
1. Race relations: Perhaps in recent years they have witnessed a deterioration in race relations at a rate unprecedented for at least half a century! In my lifetime, I did not believe, we would once again witness so much systemic racism, white supremacy, neo – Nazism, etc. level / rhythm! The apparent – dividing, in our society, between those who believe in equal rights, justice and freedom and those who seem to believe that it only applies selectively is worrying! Although, Trump claims, he has been wonderful, in terms of these issues, many believe, on the contrary, that these are the real facts!
2. International / foreign relations: Although, he claims, he was protecting American interests, by removing or limiting our involvement, long-lasting alliances / pacts / agreements, opposing the Paris Accords, etc., those who differ believe that Trump has always set their own personal / political and / or self-interest agenda before maintaining / strengthening our historic alliances, while simultaneously appearing to embrace relations with leaders in China, Russia, North Korea, etc.
3. Manage the pandemic: Perhaps the one item that will impact his legacy more than anything else is Trump’s handling of the pandemic. He always proclaimed it, if he hadn’t managed so well the results would have been much worse, but many of us believe it the data points to the contrary! Since the population of the United States is approximately 4.5% of the world’s population, we have experienced approximately 20% of cases, and deaths, that means, instead of nearly 250,000 deaths, we should have see, around 50,000 (roughly), so, what could his legacy show about how he handled this horrific event?
4. Economy / Finance: Prior to the pandemic, the US economy appeared to be extremely healthy, with low unemployment and a strong stock market. However, looking beyond the surface, the actual growth / strength of the stock market was not as good as its predecessor and, in large part, was based on, smoke and mirrors, because, with record interest rates, there were few other viable options available to invest / park funds! While Trump brags about his stewardship and how well the nation benefited from the 2017 tax reform, many believe it benefited wealthier Americans, instead of helping us all alike! What will be his eventual legacy in this area?
5. Integrity / ethics: This president claims that his administration was the most transparent and that he emptied the so-called swamp! Unfortunately, this seems to differ considerably from the reality. Have we ever seen a greater degree of lack of ethics, as we have seen?
We judge presidents, often, by their heritage, and often that depends on a variety of factors! How do you think the current one will be judged, and viewed?