How many times have you heard someone say, it doesn’t matter who they vote for, because they’re all the same anyway? For too long, Americans have allowed their apathy, and / or, naivete, control the elections, and America has often suffered from it, because the level of leadership, especially in the areas of ethics, and / or integrity, has almost disappeared! Although he lost the popular vote, in 2016 Donald Trump was elected president, winning the Electoral College. This probably happened for several reasons, including: 1) Many did not like her opponent, Hillary Clinton; 2) They believed in his version of his personal reality and believed that he was a talented businessman capable of improving the way government works; 3) They wanted a change; 4) They were inspired by his slogans including, Empty the swamp, and Make America Even More Beautiful; 5) They believed that the nation had become too liberal; and for various other reasons. One thing we should have learned from the past four years is that whoever we elect makes a difference, especially in terms of long term ramifications etc. With that in mind, this article will attempt, briefly, to consider, review, review, and discuss 5 of them, and why they should be of concern.
1. Pandemic management: If we go beyond the rhetoric and assertions of this president and just look at the data and performance, we realize that the United States, with about 4.5% of the world’s population, has experienced about 20% of infected cases and deaths. Statistically, this indicates that our performance and response was, well, below average, and that’s largely because of Trump’s response and / or lack of it! A review of what we know of the timeline indicates a combination of denial, misappropriation, lack of understanding, false messages, and bad example (by holding rallies, etc., without social spacing, and downplaying importance to wear a mask). Plus, failure to follow the science, and effectively use and understand relevant data, has hurt many people! We should hopefully learn from this, public health and planning must be in place and the American people deserve and benefit when the best experts are consulted and heard!
2. Lack of public confidence in government and public officials: Many believe that the public’s lack of confidence in the government and its leaders is largely responsible for the election of President Trump. This president’s tendency to lie, as political fact-checkers point out, has been a major component of the current testimony of the most polarized nation in recent memory!
3. Climate change: Although almost every expert and nation in the world is telling us, not only is climate change a real and imminent threat to the future of the earth, Trump, at least, publicly, has downplayed the risk and, indeed, the danger. However, neither denials nor procrastination make that go away. Because of this behavior, the United States wasted opportunities etc. to produce lasting improvement!
4. Environment: Several presidents, in particular, over the past half-century or so, have attempted to combat environmental risks and dangers by encouraging actions that have promoted clean air and water! Trump, instead of continuing like this, has reversed and / or downplayed many of these protections!
5. Allow hate crimes: Statistics indicate that the number of hate crimes has increased by up to without witness, levels. When, as we witness, white supremacists and neo-Nazis, activated, and conspiracy theorists, encouraged, doesn’t that create, potentially, a clear and present danger?
Wake up America matters who you vote for. With, several states, determined by such thin margins, is it not way, past – the time, to avoid and / or to minimize the dangers / potential ramifications of electing the wrong individuals!